Sunday, January 08, 2006

Bliss

I've been thinking about this whole "finding your bliss" thing for the past week or so. It's become obvious to me (with the help of Rich Dad, Poor Dad author Robert Kiyosaki) that what I'm really looking for is financial independence.

So, my goal is to reach financial independence by the time I am 50 years old (8 years from now). I don't think this will be easy, but I am going to try. After reading Kiyosaki for a while, one of the things you come away with is that obtaining wealth -- being "rich" -- is hard work. And the hardest work is developing the proper mindset. So, for this year I intend to work on my thoughts and educate myself about the various markets (both paper and real estate), as well as try to find mentors that can help me through this transition. And any of my friends who want to come with me are welcome. Hopefully I'll have something cool to write about next January.

Of course, the flip side of this decision should also be obvious...I can't leave the old j-o-b just yet (I doubt the banks that lent me money for my house and car would like me to take a year off). So, I'm also committing myself -- a recommitment actually -- to remaining in my current position as I take this voyage of discovery and doing the best work I am capable of doing. I must say it will be weird. But I owe it to my coworkers, my customer, and the banks I still owe money to.

As avgeek says....MTC (More To Come),
-Scott

For reference: www.richdad.com

1 comment:

linda said...

so, are you going to see this guy when he comes to town with the donald? i didn't catch when it was but saw it in a "quick" newspaper...hope you find "it" soon and share the info...lol!